Choices Challenge: Read. Care. Share.
Books can transform the way you see the world, just by showing you a different perspective. This month, we challenge you to open a world of possible through reading.
How this #ChoicesChallenge works:
1. Read one of our favorite empathy-building books, or any other eye-opening story you choose.
2. Care. Think about how this book widened your view of the world: Did it inspire you to make a change, or to see a real-life situation from someone else's perspective? Write to us and tell us about it! (See WIN! at the bottom of this page for more details.)
3. Share! What else would you add to our Empathy Book List? If you’re over the age of 13, use the hashtags #SharePossible and #ChoicesChallenge to tell us what we're missing, or show us with a #shelfie of your own bookshelf!
Here are our top picks!
1. Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick
2. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
3. Words in the Dust by Trent Reedy
4. Endangered by Eliot Schrefer
5. Skinny by Donna Cooner
6. Pinned by Sharon Flake
7. The List by Siobhan Vivian
8. The Letter Q by James Lecesne and Sarah Moon
9. Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg
10. If I Ever Get Out Of Here by Eric Gansworth
11. The Revolution of Evelyn Serrano by Sonia Manzano
12. The Freedom Summer Murders by Don Mitchell
13. Revolution by Deborah Wiles
14. Life, After by Sarah Darer Littman
Win! In 500 words or less, tell us how a book has inspired you to be more empathetic. The writer of our favorite essay will win a class set of Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick to share with their school!
Mail entries to:
READ. CARE. SHARE. #ChoicesChallenge Contest
New York, NY 10012
E-mail entries: ChoicesMag@Scholastic.com