Friday Faves: Teen Cooks Up World Record, Teachers Read Tweets About Themselves, and More!
TGIF! The weekend is finally here and the Choices magazine/TeenBeing team has rounded up our picks for the best of this week’s web. Here, our Friday Faves:
1. A Rhode Island teen named Ben Perry, 18, is attempting to clock 40 hours in the kitchen to break the Guinness World Record for longest time spent cooking. All of the food he prepares will be donated to those in need. Check out our April issue for a story about the benefits of teen cooking, which includes this delicious veggie mockos (mock tacos) recipe!
2. As a spoof of Jimmy Kimmel's skit where celebs read mean tweets they've received, a high school in Los Alamitos, CA, filmed a video of teachers reading students' tweets about them. It's funny, but carries an important message: Be careful what you post online...you never know who might read it.
3. Justin Bieber's song "Baby" has been playing non-stop during lunch and between classes at Tenino High School in Washington. The music madness is motivation for students to donate money to a school for orphaned children in Ghana. Until the donation of $500 is raised, the music will continue to play!
4. Waking up for school was always a hassle for Missouri teen Jilly Dos Santos, so the 17-year-old became a "sleep activist"—researching the topic, rallying student support, and presenting to the school board. And guess what? Jilly's school pushed back its start time to 9 a.m.! This trend of schools starting later has picked up across the country, and research confirms that it can improve students' mental health, attendance, and grades. Would you get on-board with a similar change in your district?
5. A whopping 73 percent of teens using social media, and a recent study found that students who spend more time on it are at a greater risk for depression, eating problems, and substance abuse. To combat this social media stress, check out this list of coping strategies published by the Huffington Post.
Did we miss anything big from this week? Share your faves in the comments below!