Friday Faves: New Warnings on Tanning Beds, National Donut Day, and More!
TGIF! The weekend is finally here and the Choices magazine/TeenBeing team rounded up our picks for the best of this week’s web. Check out our Friday Faves!
1. In an effort to protect teens from the harm of UV rays, the FDA is adding more prominent warnings to tanning beds, according to the Huffington Post. The machines should not be used by anyone under 18 and manufacturers must provide more warnings about the cancer risks accompanying them. It's estimated that 2.3 million U.S. teens use tanning beds each year, which is why this new federal warning is especially important.
2. Although acne cannot be prevented or cured, a recent article on Science Daily concludes that there are ways to treat acne effectively. When doing so, it significantly reduces the impact acne has on skin and self esteem. For more on this topic, check out the "Decoding Acne" story from the February issue of Choices!
3. Scientists from the National Institute on Drug Abuse recently published research about the negative health effects of marijuana. Their report take a look at how addictive the drug can be for young users, as well as insight into the gateway theory of marijuana use. Similar to use of nicotine or alcohol, marijuana may be associated with an increased vulnerability to other drugs.
4. As we've mentioned before, we're big fans of John Green. This article from The New Yorker dubs him the "The Teen Whisperer" and takes a look at his impact on today's youth. It's perfect timing, since the movie adaptation of his best-selling book The Fault in Our Stars hits theaters today!
5. Today is National Donut Day! There are plenty of ways to celebrate (including Krispy Kreme's free donut giveaway), but we suggest baking your own healthier versions of the tasty treat! From banana chocolate chip (made with mashed banana and Greek yogurt) to whole-wheat honey-glazed, try these ideas from Greatist. We're always supportive of teens testing out healthy recipes—just check out this past TeenBeing post!
Did we miss anything big from this week? Share your faves in the comments below!