Friday Faves: John Green's Next Movie, The Best Books For Spring, and More!
1. A mall in Gastonia is considering banning teenagers from shopping without adults. The mall passed out flyers and took to social media to present expectations for teenage customers, including "no running" and "no yelling or bad language." According to the mall's management, this kind of behavior has disrupted the mall's family-friendly environment, and if teens don’t clean up their act, the mall will implement a policy where anyone under 21 cannot shop without a chaperone. What do you think of this idea? Let us know in the comments section below.
2. Most of us have been counting down the days until the movie adaptation of John Green’s best-selling book The Fault in Our Stars hits theaters this summer. And good news for fans: Now there’s even more to look forward to! This week, Green announced via Twitter that his book Paper Towns will be coming to the big screen, too.
3. Ohio State University created a 30-day “Sodabriety” challenge to reduce teens’ intake of sugary beverages. The study found that teens can cut back on sugary soft drinks, especially if encouraged by their friends. In the January issue of Choices, we explored the not-so-sweet truth about soda as well. Check out the story for more info and facts to encourage your teen to kick the can!
4. Wondering what teens will be reading this spring? Kirkus Reviews rounded up a list of the season’s best books for teens, from short stories to thrillers to sports sagas. Summer vacation is just around the corner, so make sure your teens start loading up their reading lists now!
5. On Wednesday, youth activists gathered for We Day California, an event focused on empowering youth. During the star-studded event, Selena Gomez gave an inspiring speech where she urged the crowd to trust themselves and treat each other with kindness. The 21-year-old got teary-eyed as she shared her own story and said, “I realized I don’t know how to be anything but myself.”
Did we miss anything big from this week? Share your faves in the comments below!