Friday Faves: First Look At 'The Giver' Movie, Teen's Hockey Wish Comes True, and More!
TGIF! The weekend is finally here and the Choices magazine/TeenBeing team has rounded up our picks for the best of this week’s web. Check out our Friday Faves below!
1. The first trailer for The Giver was released this week! Based on Lois Lowry’s award-winning children’s novel, the movie hits theaters in August. You might remember the plot from your middle school reading list. What other classic books would you want to see made into a movie? Let us know in the comments below.
2. Although we don’t condone skipping class, three teens became heroes after playing hooky. The trio saw smoke coming from a home and ran to the rescue. There was a 94-year-old woman inside the home, whom they helped bring to safety. In this case, we think being a little late to class is okay.
3. Uh-oh! A new study shows that even though teens are familiar with dangerous driving behaviors (drinking and texting), their awareness doesn't match their actions. There appears to be a disconnect between what teens know is wrong and how they actually behave behind the wheel. Talk to your teens about safe driving behavior with these tips from SADD.
4. A Chicago high school filmed a dance video to Pharrell’s popular song “Happy,” encouraging everyone from teh school's principal to the mascot to get up and get happy! According to the Chicago Tribune, the video is a way to boost everybody’s spirits, despite the bleak winter weather and frequent criticism of Chicago’s Public Schools.
5. The Make-A-Wish Foundation recently helped teenager Sam Tageson’s hockey dreams come true! Sam, who has a rare heart condition, has been a lifelong fan of the San Jose Sharks. He was able to not only practice with the team, but also skate out through the team’s iconic shark head before the game. Check out the heartwarming video here!
6. Goodbye, Winter! Thursday was the First Day of Spring. It also was the U.N.'s second annual International Day of Happiness. To celebrate, download the Happier app. It's an online community where users post what makes them happy. If something you find makes you happy, you can "smile" (similar to a Facebook "like") at those posts. It's a great way to focus on the small things that bring joy to everyday life.
Did we miss anything big from this week? Share your faves in the comments below!