Friday Faves: An Eye-Opening Anti-Bullying Video, The Truth About Caffeine, and More!
Happy Friday! The Choices/TeenBeing team has rounded up our picks for the best of this week’s web.
1. This video about bullying shows how much power bystanders have to control an incident, though also sadly reveals that many bystanders aren't using that power. Take a look at the Choices article about bystanders to see how your teen can stand up and get involved.
2. A bill has been proposed by the New York City Council to add electronic cigarettes to the ban on smoking in public places. The debate about whether or not the cigarettes are a healthy alternative or a gateway to real tobacco products is at the center of the controversy. Although a 16-year-old was present at the most recent hearing advocating for the ban, it seems that many teens are trying the battery-powered cigarettes. Check out our recent post on electronic cigarettes and teens to learn more.
3. Does your teen drink energy drinks and/or coffee? Find out the truth about caffeine and the potential to overdose on it here.
4. We love this teen's list of ways to make a difference in the world around them this holiday season. And to help your teen make a difference in their own lives this holiday season, check out the Choices' Holiday Survival Guide!
5. Last week, we were incredibly disappointed to hear that 12-year-old Vanessa VanDyke was threatened with expulsion from her school if she didn't change her naturally curly hairstyle. In an OpEd piece for HuffPo Teen, high school senior Yuwa Edomwande responds to Vanessa's case, calling other teens to action to change our society's unfair and unnatural standard of beauty. We love Yuwa and Vanessa's choices to love themselves as they are, and hope more teens are inspired by their confidence!
Did we miss anything big from this week? Let us know your faves in the comments below!